Oral Cancer Screening
Why We Screen
The goal of oral cancer screening is to identify mouth cancer early, when there is a greater chance for a cure. We will perform an examination of your mouth during a routine dental visit to screen for oral cancer. We may use additional tests to aid in identifying areas of abnormal cells in your mouth. People with a high risk of oral cancer may be more likely to benefit from oral cancer screening.
Factors that can increase the risk of oral cancer include:
- Tobacco use of any kind, including cigarettes, cigars, pipes, chewing tobacco and snuff, among others
- Heavy alcohol use
- Previous oral cancer diagnosis
- History of significant sun exposure, which increases the risk of lip cancer
Top reasons to add “oral cancer screening” to your wellness to-do list:
- It’s easy. It can be done during your regular dental exam.
- It can save your life. Oral cancer is a devastating disease — but you can boost your chances of survival by at least 20 percentage points when the disease is caught early.
- It’s inexpensive. When an oral cancer exam is incorporated into your regular exam, there’s no extra expense unless follow-up procedures are needed.